This Family Day, keep safety top of mind with the Home Fire Escape Plan Challenge, says the Town of Ajax.
It asks if a fire started in your home this evening, would you and your family be prepared and know two ways out of every room? Have you picked a spot outside your front yard where everyone will meet?
Ajax Fire and Emergency Services encourage families to join the home fire escape plan challenge this Family Day. Practice your home escape plan and share photos to join in.
How to participate:
• Take a photo of you and your family practicing your home fire escape plan.
• Share your photo by using the tags #HomeFireEscapePlan, #WeAreFireSafe and #AjaxFire.
• Tag one of the Town’s social media accounts – Twitter: @TownOfAjax, Facebook: @myajax, or Instagram: @townofajax.
• Challenge your friends and family to participate to help build momentum!
• Photos may be shared on the Town’s social media platforms.
“We’ve heard the expression: practice makes perfect. Please take some time this Family Day weekend to ensure your family knows what to do if there’s a fire and practice your home fire escape plan. You can get the entire family involved. It’s easy to do, just draw a floor plan of your house, show two ways out of every room and pick a meeting spot outside your front yard,” says Shelley Langer, Fire Prevention Inspector, Ajax Fire and Emergency Services.
- Create a home fire escape planning include two ways out of every room.
- Determine who will be responsible for helping young children, older adults or anyone else that due to cognitive or physical limitations may require additional assistance to escape.
- Check that all exits are unobstructed and easy to access.
- Designate a meeting place outside the home, such as a tree or a lamp post, where everyone can be accounted for.
- Call the fire department from outside the home, from a cell phone or neighbour’s home.
- Once out, stay out. Never re-enter a burning building.
- Practice your home fire escape plan with everyone in your household.