ActiveTOA adventures has added 12km of marked route system with four distinct markings being included in Town of Ajax’s trail network in North Ajax.
In June 2020, the town launched the ActiveTOA Adventure Program to promote the town’s spaces and encourage outdoor activity during the beginning of the pandemic. As a part of this program, the town created marked routes to encourage biking and active transportation within individual neighbourhoods in South Ajax.
In response to the ongoing need for activities supporting physical and mental health beyond the pandemic, the program has expanded these routes to North Ajax, said a town statement.
The town’s new ActiveTOA North Ajax routes include stopovers with picturesque views of natural habitats (including beavers, butterflies and turtles), heritage sites in Pickering Village and various restaurants, shops and amenities.
Each of these routes are conveniently located near recreation centres and bike repair stations. These routes feature four distinct markings, totaling approximately 12.04km, inspired by the native flora, fauna and heritage of the area:
- Pickering Village (Bell)
- Millers Creek North (Beaver)
- Millers Creek South (Cedar branch)
- Audley North (Butterfly)
“Ensuring there are various options for the community to get around and stay active outdoors is so important for our mental and physical health. I am happy to support the expansion of the ActiveTOA trail routes and its new markings in North Ajax. These markings will help to encourage pedestrians and cyclists to explore the Pickering Village area, as well as all of the amenities offered in and around Millers Creek North/South and Audley North. Ajacians and visitors are encouraged to follow the trail markings and discover all there is to enjoy in these four areas,” said Mayor Shaun Collier.
- The town has expanded these routes to North Ajax, through $25,000 in grant funding from the provincial and federal governments.
- Check out ajax.ca/ActiveTOA for a series of enhanced bike routes with markings reflecting the flora and fauna of the area.
- Whether you choose to bike solo or in a group, ActiveTOA offers many options for exploring Ajax for different fitness levels. Most of the ActiveTOA routes take approximately 20 minutes to complete by bike. Ambitious riders who are looking for a challenge have the option of combining routes.
- The previously installed markings include four areas: Discovery Bay (Rabbit), Rotary Park (Duck), Duffins Bay (Tree) and Clover Ridge (Trillium).
- The new markings include four new areas in North Ajax: Pickering Village (Bell), Millers Creek North (Beaver), Millers Creek South (Cedar branch) and Audley North (Butterfly).
- The new, four distinct markings, totals approximately 12.04km, inspired by the native flora and fauna of the area.