The Town of Whitby is on a campaign to convince Lakeridge Health that it is the best location in Durham for the proposed new hospital.
The town has created a task force to help build the business case for Whitby as the ideal location.
To help guide how and where health care services will be delivered over the next 20 years and beyond, Lakeridge Health is developing a Master Program and Plan. As part of this plan, Lakeridge Health is considering building a new, full-service hospital and health precinct in Durham Region and is looking for where to locate it.
Whitby has already identified a site at Baldwin Street and Highway 407 which it says is readily available and is the best location for Lakeridge Health’s new full service hospital and health precinct to be built.
- In northern Whitby near historic Downtown Brooklin and the future site of a recreation complex
- Within the heart of Durham Region, filling the gap between current Lakeridge Health hospital sites
- In close proximity to two 400-series highways
- 45+ acres of land ready for development
- Located in close proximity to a number of amenities and significant residential growth sites
- Easy access to public transit
- Lakeridge Health’s Strategic Plan identifies that Durham Region’s growth will double from 680,000 in 2016 to 1.2 million in 2041
- Whitby will be one of the fastest growing municipalities during that time
- No environmental constraints
- Environmental assessment process for the major roadway (mid-block arterial) that will support this future project begins this year
Opportunity for post-secondary education partnerships with leading institutions
A Leader in Innovation:
- Whitby is the technology and innovation hub of Durham Region
- Opportunity to be a leading edge technology and innovation hospital
2015: the Ontario Government-appointed Scarborough/West Durham Expert Panel recommended that a new comprehensive acute care hospital should be constructed for Durham Region.
2017: Lakeridge Health initiated a Master Planning process to create a roadmap for the facilities and infrastructure improvements and expansion required to meet the needs of the community for the next five, 10, 20 years and beyond. A new hospital is noted as an important part of their Master Plan.
2018: the Ontario Government announced its support for the new hospital in its 2018 Budget.
May 27, 2019: Whitby Town Council endorsed a Whitby location as the future site of the new Lakeridge Health Acute Care hospital.