Following an increase in the number of new Covid-19 cases in Durham in recent weeks, effective Monday, November 16, the region will move into the Orange-Restrict category.
Durham has so far been in the Yellow-Protect category.
Ontario recently moved the province’s public health unit regions to the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open Framework. The framework categorizes public health regions into five levels:
- Red-Control, and
- Lockdown being a measure of last and urgent resort
“It’s a concerning trend; a reflection of the second wave that has been seen in many areas of Ontario,” said John Henry, Regional Chair and Chief Executive Officer.
He said the move means that enhanced measures, restrictions and enforcement will be in place to limit further transmission, while avoiding any closures. It means that there are new limits and hours of operation in place for capacities at restaurants and gyms, while increasing screening measures.
“But most of all, our personal choices matter. Please, keep your social interactions to those within your own household. Wash your hands frequently, wear your mask, and download the Covid Alert app,” he said in a statement.
“Since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic, the health and safety of our community has remained our number one priority. I know it has been a hard eight months. I know we are tired. But we must work together to protect our most vulnerable. We have flatted the curve before, and we can do it again.”
He said the region will continue to support local businesses during these challenging times. “They are key drivers of our local economy. They have helped to shape the heart and soul of our community. If you own a local business and need support, please visit our website at durham.ca to get all the tools you need. We will continue to work to ensure Durham’s economy comes out of this strong and proves that it is more resilient than ever.
“We will get through this together, and together we remain #DurhamStrong,” he added.