Lakeridge Health yesterday named members of an independent panel to lead site selection process for proposed new hospital in Durham Region.
The site selection process should be completed by the end of 2021.
The hospital group said the panel is made up of a diverse group of professionals who bring many years of leadership experience and expertise in health care and real estate development to this site selection process. This proposed new hospital, along with other key capital investments identified in Lakeridge Health’s Master Plan will help ensure that as Durham continues to grow over the coming decades, and that residents’ health care needs are met.
“We’re very grateful to the panel members for lending their expertise and time to support Lakeridge Health in this site selection effort,” said Cynthis Davis, President and CEO, Lakeridge Health.
Panel members were selected based on a skillset that the board’s Site Selection Committee approved and have the experience necessary to lead all aspects of the independent and transparent process to identify the right site. To ensure the independence of the process, the panel is made up of professionals with no employment, residency, or financial ties to Durham Region.
Independent Expert Panel Members
Expert Panel Chair: Altaf Stationwala – President and CEO, Mackenzie Health: Altaf has held numerous leadership positions at health care facilities including Mackenzie Health, Mount Sinai Hospital, Brampton Civic Hospital, and William Osler Health Centre. He is the past Chair of the Ontario Hospital Association and brings a wealth of knowledge about the province’s health care sector to the panel. As Chair, Altaf will be responsible for overseeing the panel’s work and his experience in recently developing a new hospital will be key.
Hospital CEO and Health Care Leaders
- Janice Skot – President and CEO, Royal Victoria Hospital: Janice is an experienced health care professional as current President & CEO of Royal Victoria Hospital and past CEO at Laurentian Hospital and Northeastern Ontario Regional Cancer Centre. Janice will support the Panel with her expertise in patient-centered care and will bring an important lens to how to define and drive culture to achieve strategic results.
- Dr. Jack Kitts – Former President and CEO, The Ottawa Hospital: Dr. Kitts was President and CEO of The Ottawa Hospital since 2002 before his retirement in June 2020. He is a sought-after health care leader and known nationally for his focus and expertise in patient experience and performance measurement, and physician engagement. Dr. Kitts’ perspective will be vital as the panel looks at identifying a site that will best support all the communities across Durham Region.
- Helena Hutton – retired – a Registered Nurse by profession – former Executive Vice President, Southlake Regional Health Centre: Helena is a Senior Executive with a broad range of career experiences and 35 years of experience in the health care sector. Prior to her retirement in 2020, she was the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President – Clinical Programs at Southlake Regional Health Centre. Helena concurrently held the position of Regional Vice President, Central Cancer Program with Ontario Health/Cancer Care Ontario and will bring this in-depth clinical
expertise to the panel.
Health Care Development
- Paul Clarry – President, Paul Clarry Health Care Infrastructure Planning – former Vice President, Planning, Facilities, and Support Services, North York General Hospital: Paul has significant expertise in healthcare infrastructure as President of Paul Clarry HealthCare Infrastructure Planning Inc. He has over 35 years of hospital and public sector experience and has held leadership positions at the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Southlake Regional Health Centre, and the Ontario Hospital Association. This infrastructure experience will be invaluable as the panel reviews all potential sites for the proposed future hospital.
Real Estate Development
- Gary Whitelaw – Former CEO, BentallGreenOak: Gary has over three decades of experience in all aspects of real estate and investment, financial management, governance and environmental sustainability, construction, and more. Prior to retirement, he was the CEO of BentallGreenOak for 22 years. Gary’s expertise in these fields will support the Panel’s comprehensive site selection process.
- Scott McLeod – Former CEO, Central West Local Health Integration Network: Scott was previously the CEO of Central West Local Health Integration Network and has held leadership positions at Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga Halton Local Health Integration Network, Agnew Peckham, and Halton Peel District Health Council. Scott is well-positioned to provide expertise on the integration and transformation of healthcare, executive leadership, board governance, and strategy and execution. As Executive Lead, Scott will focus on consultation and engagement with the community, elected officials, and landowners during the process. The Executive Lead will also keep Lakeridge Health’s senior management team and Board informed throughout the review.
The RFP for a Fairness Advisor was released on May 27, 2021, and selection should be finalized in late June.
More information on each member of the Independent Expert Panel can be found on Lakeridge Health’s website www.lh.ca. As work continues, Lakeridge Health will continue to share regular updates and provide opportunities for community input around key activities.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: