Oshawa Mayor Dan Carter has issued a call for Durham residents to buy local, support local to help Oshawa businesses recover from Covid-19.
“The Covid-19 global pandemic has affected all facets of our community, including our local economy, with Oshawa’s small and locally-owned businesses reporting operational and financial impacts that have never before been experienced,”he said.
“The City of Oshawa is encouraging community members to help when they can by buying local and supporting local,” he added.
The mayor said here are some ways residents can make a difference:
- Buy local, support local – It’s more important than ever to shop from local businesses. Ordering goods and services from large online retailers reduces the local economic benefit.
- Order from local businesses online – Many small businesses have adapted their operations during Covid-19 to offer online ordering with curbside pickup or home delivery.
- Think farm fresh – Durham has an abundance of high-quality food being grown in the region. For a list of agri-businesses offering online ordering with pick up or delivery, visit the Invest Durham website.
- Purchase gift certificates now to use later – Provide local businesses with the cash flow they need today by purchasing a gift certificate to use when life returns to normal. In addition, the Downtown Oshawa BIA has a gift certificate program to help support businesses in downtown Oshawa during Covid-19.
- Dine-out at home – Many restaurants that are closed for dine-in meals across the city are still offering delivery and takeout services. Consider ordering in more often if your budget allows it. Additionally, for information on downtown restaurants providing pick-up and delivery, visit the Downtown Oshawa BIA’s Facebook page.
- Show support on social media – Let our local businesses know you care by liking and sharing their messages on social media.
“Now is the time to buy local, support local,” said Mayor Carter. “Let’s show Oshawa’s small and locally-owned businesses that they are not alone. We walk through these challenges together.”