Durham Police said charges have been laid against a youth after threats were received at Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School in Ajax.
On Monday, June 20, 2022, at approximately 2:35 pm, members from West Division attended the school at 1375 Harwood Ave North after the school received a threat of violence.
Officers arrived on scene and through investigation, were quickly able to determine the source of the threat and a male student was taken into custody. The school was placed into lockdown for a short period of time and there were no injuries.
A 15-year-old male is charged with: Mischief and Utter Threats. He was released on an Undertaking.
Police would like to remind the public that threats to schools are taken very seriously.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Cst. Singh of West Division at 1-888-579-1520 x 3962.
Earlier Story: Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) yesterday were on the scene investigating an incident at Notre Dame High School in Ajax.
Staff had placed the school into lock down and contacted police after receiving an online threat, said an advisory tweet. There was no access to the school.
Durham Catholic District School Board clarified that the lockdown at Notre Dame was as a precautionary measure.
However, it had an impact on an nearby Durham District School Board (DDSB) schools.
“As a result of our school building being adjoined to Notre Dame CSS, @JCR_Storm (J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate) is observing a precautionary lockdown,” said a DDSB tweet.
It said: “School staff are working with DRPS. There is no access to the school at this time”.
DDSB also reported that earlier in the afternoon, Vincent Massey PS and Eastdale CVI were placed under brief (15 minute) Hold and Secure protocols due to an incident in nearby Easton Park.
Later, the DRPS said the lock downs had been lifted, and that there was no threat to public safety.
However, officers remained on the scene and continued to investigate.
Announcing the lifting of the lock down, the Durham Catholic District School Board and DDSB said the students were safe.